Friday, January 13, 2012

Christmas, New Years, and our adventures thereafter.

So unfortunately this will be a quick update, but I wanted to post some pictures...

We are currently in a snowy mountain town in northern India named Mussoorie. In planning our trip to India, the thought of below-freezing temperatures didn't even cross my mind, but here I sit in an internet cafe with every layer of clothing I can possibly manage while still maintaining functionality and I am still cold! As miserable as cold can sometimes be, we are finding it a welcome change and a temperature that feels much more like a January day should! Mussoorie is perched in the hills and is home to beautiful waterfalls, gondola rides, and hiking. We are enjoying the slow paced feel and friendly people here. It's down to Eric, Camille (A friend, and welcome new addition to our little travelling troupe), and I now. Ian has headed to southern India to explore the warmth and intrigue of Mumbai...we hope to meet up again in the U.K.


Previous to Mussoorie, we spent a couple days in New Delhi (huge crazy city) and before that, Christmas in Agra touring the Taj Mahal and surrounding historical sights, 3 days in Jaipur in all its hustle and bustle, and a day in Jodhpur "the blue city." Finally, 10 days in Jaisalamer, a lively, colorful desert town. We spent new years there on a desert camel safari in fact, and passed our days riding through the desert dunes wearing turbans and guzzling water like camels ourselves. The camels were fascinating animals and we all had a love-hate relationship with our given beast of burden. I christened mine "Momo" after the delicious potsticker-esque food common in this part of the world. Each had a peg nailed though its nose to facilitate steering. Our legs and bums were quickly hurting from bumpy ride, but the scenery was beautiful and the desert was absouletly gorgeous. New years eve was spent dancing around the bonfire, listening to our guides sing songs of the desert, and running through the dunes under the stars at night. I will never forget this new years.




Back in Jaisalamer we also took an Indian cooking class and learned to make curries, naan bread, and lassi. The class was taught by an amazing Indian woman named Rama who took us under her wing and taught us well. We are now well versed in 6 different curries, naan bread, and lassi. In addition, both Rama and her husband Jag were desperately attempting to set up an arranged marriage between their son and I. The only stipulations were that I would have to become a vegetarian, and I would have to work in a non-science profession (women get too many ideas). They were thrilled with the prospects of what they kept calling a "cocktail baby" between their son and I with pale skin. I politely turned them down.

 Eric, Ian, and I also rented motorcycles and mopeds for a day and decided to brave the insanity of the Indian road system and drive out into the desert on our own. It was a 50 km drive out to a national park nearby, so we rented our bikes, donned our helmets and headed for the dunes once again. Terrifying at first, we slowly got the hang of things, and soon we were driving the open highway dotted with cows, goats, and the occasional tea stand. Eric and Ian even taught me to drive the motorcycle on an uninhabited road we found along the way.  I killed it numerous times in trying to shift into first, but when I finally got it into gear and started driving it felt great! The guys were patient teachers and nice enough to run along beside me till I got a feel for it because they knew I was nervous. So much fun.

So many more stories I could tell...but that's gotta be all for now. We have one week left in India, then 11 days in the U.K. before flying back to Seattle. Miss you all!!










No comments:

Post a Comment