Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Back from the trek...




Well, I didn't go to the Annapurna Base Camp as planned...unfortunatly I wound up coming down with the flu :( Ian and I decided to hike back to Pokhara...a 2 day hike instead of 8. I'm dissapointed not to make it to basecamp, but still pretty darn proud of myself for completing a three week trek!! Plus, although I'm feeling better now, it was a good decision I think not to push it while I'm sick. Ian and I will be able to re-live the basecamp trek through Erics pictures.

So, here are my final thoughts and tips on the trek...
1. Give yourself plently of buffer time. Luckily we weren't going off a timeline, so we could check out neat side trails, stay in cool towns for longer, and we had a nice long rest day after we crossed the pass.

              
2. A porter and guide are not necissary...we were some of the only people without them, but the paths were well marked and whenever we started to go off trail we would immediatly have a Nepali grandma yelling at you incoherently and pointing at where you should be going instead. I couldn't count the number of times this happened to us. haha. The people we met with guides felt rushed, and also payed much much more. A typical day for us cost-wise was lodging for $1.25 max (often free). and food...usually around $2.00 for breakfast and $5.00 for dinner. If you got Daal Baht for dinner it was all you can eat! We ate lots of tibetan breat, tsampa porriage, omelets, fried rice, and tea...lots and lots of tea. My favorites were milk tea and lemon tea. We found out it was best to make our own lunches out of yak cheese, crackers, fresh fruit, and snickers bars. There are children everywhere trying to sell you apples, bananas, and oranges from the trees around their homes.

3. November is the perfect time to trek because there weren't too many crowds and the weather was great! It only rained one day out of the 20 and the rest of the time was sunny and beautiful.


4. Its good to get used to Nepali time...go to bed around 9 and wake up around 6.


5. Bring your own toliet paper...nepalis don't use it. AND get used to the very inconvenient squatty potties...I had a mishap one day when I was using a very slanted bathroom and I lost my balance...I'm embarassed to say I peed on my foot. Goes to show why western toliets are better.



6. A few must haves: a down jacket, warm socks, long underwear, a steri pen (to purify water), trekking poles, chacos, a headlamp, and a warm sleepin bag.

Going on the trek was one of the coolest things I've ever experienced...the people are gracious and friendly, the landscape is beautiful, and to be out in nature for 3 weeks straight was worth the time, effort, and sore muscles. We met lots of friends along the way too from all over the world. Supprisingly only a few other Americans, but lots of Israelis, Germans, French, and tourists from other Asian countries.







 
Now back in Pokhara I have lots of options...whitewater rafting, paragliding, horseback riding, kayaking, scenic flights, rock climbing....its going to be tough to decide what we want to do most! Got my first massage this morning for 20 dollars for a whole hour!!!

Sorry about the weird picture placement...the internet is SUPER slow and moving them takes 5 minutes to load. Also, if you click on the pictures you can see a bigger version!

6 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL pictures Kim! Sorry to hear you got sick but glad to hear your feeling better, sounds like everything went relatively smoothly though! And what an accomplishment! Congratulations! Not many people can tuck a multi-week, one hundred-and-however-many mile trek under their belt! Well done! My favorite pictures are you with the cow/yak/goat calf thing (because at first I thought it was an adult and it made you look like a giant) and the stair one in the trees, the curvy river one with the mountains in the background, and the flag one. Can I just say I'm jealous and have my fingers crossed that one day I can take your trekking advice because that means I'd be on a trek? Anyways, say hi to the guys for me, stay healthy and eat lots of yak cheese? Or maybe not...

    Forrest

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Kim!!! Your blog is great :) Thanks for all of the updates. We've been thinking of you/praying for you lots. So happy to hear that you are enjoying this adventure...what an incredible experience!

    Safe journeys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim!

    The pictures look amazing and it sounds like you are having the time of your life! I am so proud of you. I see your auntie Pam everyday at work and we always have such a nice chat about you. :) You are missed and I can't wait for your return!

    Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  4. The FLU?! Bummer!!! I am very glad you are feeling better and that you are happy with your decision to go back. You are such an inspiration!! I love your pictures! My favorite is the one with the colorful flags in front of the mountain. I also really like the one with the sun coming in between the trees.

    One of my students is in India right now and we actually learned about these toilets yesterday, haha. Never eat or touch somebody with your left hand, because that is the hand you use only for cleaning yourself up after "toileting" haha. Since they don't use toilet paper, it is considered very offensive to use your left hand for other things ...even if you are a TP user, lol. Just a little tip in case you hadn't learned this already. Love you!!

    :) Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kim,
    Jenn just shared your blog link with me. Holy moly, what an adventure! Amazing pictures, truly a lifetime memorable experience. Wishing you safe and happy travels all the way home.
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Arent those toilets terrible!!! they have those here in Japan too!!

    ReplyDelete